Lowered Acoustic Doppler Current Profiler Software
Martin Visbeck has coded a MATLAB based software package that
allows to process LADCP and LADCP-2 data. This is the first
version released to the public and I am eager for comments.
How to process the LADCP data using the MATLAB software
You will need the RDI BB/WH ADCP raw data and MATLAB. If you
want absolute velocities you have to know the start and end postion
of the cast. You can also use an external profile of soundspeed
and load Juergen Fischer .par paraemter file.
* means this step is essential, + means this step is not essential,
- means an alternative to the one before.
- + 'ladcpmenu' is the main m-file that allows you to click your way
thorugh an LADCP-2 processing scheme.
- * 1) click on button  or set 'cop=1' and 'adcpload'. If you have
specified 'file=['filename'];' it will try to open the specified name.
- + click on button  to get some extra information
- + Juergen Fischers parameter files can be loaded now by 'getpar'
- * 2) click on botton  or set 'cop=3' and 'adcpload' to load all
the relevant data into memory (This is the slowest part!)
- + click on button  or set 'cop=6' and 'adcpload' to convert
beam to earth coordinates.
- * 3) click on button  or call 'getupdown' to move some arrays
and set dummy up/down cast. (This is also essential for just one
- + repeat all the above steps after clicking button  in order
to load the second data set (LADCP-2) systems only. Note at this
point we assume synchronized data....
- + if you have a soundspeed profile load it now 'getsound'
- * 4) click on button  or call 'getdepth' to merge arrays, apply
compass deiation, remove
large tilt data, remove data with large error velocity, find depth
of cast, look for surface, look for bottom, correct velocities for
soundspeed, get binlength matrix .....
- * 5) click on button  or call 'getshear' to compute shear arrays,
mean shear profiles, and mean relative velocity profile for up+down
cast, and up/down cats alone.
- - call 'getshear2' to use std editing instead of median.... seems to
work better in some cases, need more investigation!
- + call 'loadpos' or set arrays 'poss=[ phid phim lamd lamm];'
and 'pose=[ phid phim lamd lamm];'
- * 6) click on button  or call 'getabs' to find barotropic correction.
- + check the other buttons for some plotting options....
This source of information is managed by
If you have any comments/suggestions for the documents on this server,
send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.